RFF has an opening for a Research Assistant position. The candidate should have a master’s or bachelor’s degree in economics, natural sciences, mathematics, geography, or a related field. We are looking for applicants with outstanding academic records, strong quantitative aptitude, organizational skills, and the ability to write clearly, quickly and concisely. Specific skills desired for this position include:
- experience and facility with ArcGIS and Python, particularly as applied to the analysis of land cover change
- Spanish language skills
- knowledge of upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level economics
- coursework and/or experience in ecology, forestry, or related fields
- facility in assembling and manipulating large datasets as well as data conversion, manipulation and retrieval
- experience with computational and statistical software other than ArcGIS, including Stata, SAS, Matlab, and GAMS.
A major component of the work for this position will be analysis of forest conservation and REDD+ policies in Mesoamerica, including:
- constructing a GIS comprising data on land cover, the geophysical and socioeconomic determinants of land cover change, biodiversity, and ecosystem services,
- using these data to evaluate the environmental and socioeconomic impacts of forest conservation/REDD+ policies, and
- developing computation tools to target such policies.