Organization Hiring:Rainforest Alliance
The Outreach Coordinator, under the supervision and coordination of the Communication Advisor, will be responsible for the development of activities related to diffusion and relations with media stakeholders of the M-REDD project specified in the work plan according to the communication strategy of the project. S/he will write copy, conduct media outreach and develop promotional materials about relevant REDD+ issues. S/he will promote the M-REDD project on social media channels and in local and national media outlets.
- Coordinate media outreach, including researching and writing press releases and responding to media queries about the M-REDD project;
- Coordinate media trips to field projects and regional offices and arrange interviews with M-REDD project staff and other experts as needed;
- Work with communications staff to craft pitches, media advisories and letters to the editor; write and edit press releases and follow-up with reporters;
- Organize media coverage and media information kits;
- Document M-REDD’s work in Mexico through photos, video, and other media, and organize and catalogue this material;
- Coordinate production of public information materials by researching and writing content and editing public promotional materials and publications (printed and electronic) in Spanish for key external audiences, such as brochures, fact sheets, posters and websites;
- Collect and publish relevant information to be posted on the M-REDD Pathway, including: general information about the project, upcoming events, training materials, and more;
- Write blog posts and promote on M-REDD communications channels;
- Ensure the M-REDD program’s presence on external websites and social networks;
- Monitor and participate in sustainable forestry and agriculture online communities to identify and alert colleagues about new opportunities;
- Participate in site visits to understand the implementation of REDD+ strategies and programs; and
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications or journalism;
- 5 - 7 years work experience in journalism, media outreach and/or communications, preferably with some experience related with environmental or sociocultural issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of forest and agriculture matters or rural sustainable development, preferably in REDD+ issues; ability to translate technical information to general materials for non-technical audiences;
- Knowledge of the publication process (print and digital);
- Outstanding photography and videotaping skills;
- Interest and experience in blogging and/or other Web 2.0 realms;
- Previous experience managing content on a website strongly preferred;
- Strong interest and some experience in biodiversity conservation, climate change and/or development issues, particularly in Latin America; experience in tropical agriculture, biology and/or forestry a plus;
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office, Internet, Photoshop, etc);
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in Spanish; strong skills in spoken and written English;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
- Ability to work within a team structure as well as independently, be creative, take initiative, be attentive to detail, be able to work well under deadlines; and
- Ability to travel a minimum of 15% per year, nationally and internationally.
Read more here.