Code REDD is an emergency action campaign designed to catalyze corporate leadership to save the threatened forests of the world, by dramatically increasing the demand for REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation) emission reductions from the private sector within the voluntary carbon market. This demand will come from corporations who will ‘pledge’ to purchase high-quality REDD+ credits endorsed by the Code REDD Campaign over a period of years and for a specified tonnage, whether or not these credits exist today. The Code REDD Campaign was established in November 2011 and launched at the Rio+20 Summit in June 2012 to drive adoption of a scalable economic solution for deforestation.
Code REDD provides a solution to two of the most pressing issues of our time:
1. How to stop the deforestation that is stripping the planet of its biodiversity, impoverishing forest communities and releasing massive amounts of pollution into the air, changing our climate forever; and
2. How to allow the marketplace to continue to provide the goods and services to our growing global population without accelerating the negative impacts on our climate.
Code REDD is seeking a Director of Business Development - UK & Europe to lead the campaign’s European corporate pledge, fundraising, and policy advocacy efforts in Europe and the UK.
· Corporate Pledges: You will have the primary role of sourcing pledges for the Code REDD campaign from companies in the UK and Europe and from companies with significant operations in Europe. This role includes identifying, qualifying and developing relationships with major corporations in the UK and Europe with the aim to secure ‘pledges’ to purchase REDD+ credits from Code REDD projects for a multi-year period. This activity will constitute approximately 60% of your time.
· Fundraising: You will be asked to help develop, present to, and successfully raise capital from UK and European funding sources for the activities of the Code REDD Campaign. This role includes identifying, qualifying and developing relationships with major donors and government agencies in the UK and Europe seeking to deploy REDD readiness funds into specific channels. Fundraising activities will constitute approximately 30% of your time.
· Policy Advocacy: You will meet with various policy makers in the UK and Europe as relates to their Emissions Trading Schemes and Carbon Disclosure Legislation in order to give visibility to the Code REDD Campaign and its Code of Conduct as a ‘best practices’ organization and document. You will further demonstrate support for REDD+ compliance-grade credits as a key long-term driver of demand for high-quality REDD+ credits. Policy advocacy activities should constitute approximately 10% of your time.
Competencies & Qualifications:
· Strong and dynamic written, oral, and visual communication and advocacy skills
· Strong track record in marketing and/or corporate sales with C-level executives
· Minimum of 5 years related corporate sales and marketing experience, 8-10+ preferred
· Successful fundraising for non-profits from major European foundations
· Familiarity with REDD and/or very interested in climate issues/environmental conservation/ rural community development
· Strong inter-cultural and inter-personal communication skills
· Strong computer proficiency, including proficiency in Microsoft office
· Minimum Bachelors degree from a top tier university, MBA/MA degree preferred
· Fluency in English language required, additional proficiency in French, German, Spanish or Dutch is desirable
· A competitive remuneration package will be offered
· Interested candidates should send a copy of their CV and a cover letter explaining how they match the above requirements by email to the Executive Director of the campaign, Karin Burns: firstname.lastname@example.org.