World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Communications/Learning Program Officer, Forest & Climate Initiative (FCI) based in Washington DC. The Program Associate is a dual role, with 50% of the work supporting FCI’s Communications initiatives and 50% supporting FCI’s Knowledge Sharing initiatives. A key role of this position is to ensure that FCI’s Communications and Knowledge Sharing work is strategically coordinated and implemented, where identified by the thematic leads. The Program Associate will support and assist with FCI communications needs including communications to internal (WWF) audiences and stakeholders. This position will support and assist with implementation of the FCI Learning and Knowledge Sharing Program including production of relevant learning material and collecting and sharing inspiring practices and lessons learned in REDD+ projects in WWF.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
Serve as a member of the FCI core team. Provide communications and knowledge sharing support to the FCI team.
Assist with the strategic joint co-ordination and implementation of FCI Communications and Knowledge Sharing work plan activities.
Communications specific responsibilities:
1) Support communications initiatives to keep key internal stakeholders and others within WWF informed and aware of events, progress and achievements of the FCI and about forest climate issues more generally. This includes:
a) Support production of the FCI Newsletter, The Canopy
b) Production of the REDD Resources Digest: compiling and selecting the resources most relevant to WWF’s work including updates from the FCI and WWF’s REDD+ related work in the field, REDD-related publications, news and events
c) Drafting and disseminating REDD Alerts: to inform key internal stakeholders of FCI relevant developments
d) Co-management with WWF-International of the Forest Climate listserv
e) Co-management with WWF-International for the Forest Climate Google Site
f) Providing monthly summaries of Forest & Climate Initiative results for use by WWF-International (e.g. monthly Conservation New Bites) for internal reporting purposes
g) Assist with the production of FCI publications
2) Assist the Communications Director with assignments as needed, including such tasks as event coordination, and researching and writing background papers and policy briefs
3) Assist with special projects from time to time including the preparation of public presentations, meeting briefs and reports and issue research, in close collaboration with senior FCI leadership.
Knowledge Sharing specific responsibilities:
1) Support learning initiatives to advance the FCI strategy, and to enhance learning and knowledge sharing on the two strategy fronts (a) to build REDD+ models at scale, and (b) to influence national and international support of REDD+ policy. This includes:
a) Support in the identification and collection of inspiring practices and lessons learned from field projects.
b) Support on learning and knowledge management capacity building and implementation of a tool box for collecting the above.
c) Assist in the editing and production of Learning Program case studies, publications, and multimedia.
d) Coordinate monthly learning sessions / webinars and other discussion forums.
e) Co-management of an online knowledge hub including: content and updating of information, promoting communities of practices, engaging members, providing web statistics for monitoring usage.
f) Assist in the development and management of online learning courses as requested.
g) Co-management of the FCI Learning Google Site.
2) Assist the Knowledge Sharing Manager with assignments as needed including stakeholder engagement, survey development and distribution, learning program monitoring and evaluation, event coordination, and tracking of other learning initiatives promoted by other organizations (CIFOR, REDD Desk, REDD Net, etc).
A Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree preferred. A minimum of two years environmental communications/education professional experience is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Online communications experience required.
- Solid organizational and analytical skills required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Online event management experience required (familiarity with WebEx, Go-to-Meeting or other virtual meeting tools required).
- Ability to manage a budget.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Familiarity with Microsoft office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access)
- Familiarity with Adobe design software required (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Interest in interacting respectfully with people of different cultures, and cross cultural communication.
- Initiative, ability to prioritize and complete work with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to work in a team environment to promote the development of joint products.
- Not mandatory but desirable: Spanish, French, Bahasa Indonesia, language skills.
Read more about the position here.