As member and Secretariat of the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN), an international coalition of leading conservation organizations, Rainforest Alliance’s Sustainable Agriculture Division works with farmers to ensure compliance with the SAN standards for protecting wildlife, ecosystems, workers’ rights and promoting the well-being of farmers’ families and communities. Farms that meet the rigorous environmental, social and economic standards are awarded the Rainforest Alliance Certified™ seal. The SAN standards are applied by producers of major commodity crops (including bananas, pineapple, coffee, cocoa, tea, citrus and flowers) that profoundly affect the economies, environments, cultures and politics of tropical countries.Today more than 350,000 farms in 30 countries are certified and Rainforest Alliance Certified products are widely available in mainstream markets.
In coordination with the Standards & Policy Director, the Associate will organize the development of local interpretation guidelines and lead public consultation workshops for standard development and review processes in the region. S/he will participate in research and field activities related to the development of sustainable agriculture certification standards, and support the recruitment of new SAN member organizations in the region.
- Organize the development of local interpretation guidelines for different crops using workshops and other stakeholder outreach techniques and prepare draft guideline documents across the region;
- Organize and facilitate workshops for local interpretation guideline development and public consultations;
- Participate in field testing activities in these regions during standard review and development;
- Represent the SAN in the region and support relationships with potential new Sustainable Agriculture Network members and stakeholder outreach, in general;
- Provide technical guidance to Asian certification bodies in collaboration with the Central American SAN secretariat;
- Provide input for budgets, work schedules and reports; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Biology, Natural Resources or related field;
- 5-7 years professional experience in the agricultural sector in with knowledge of agriculture production processes and certification systems;
- 2 years of auditing experience with sustainable agriculture certification schemes;
- English, with strong written and oral skills in both languages;
- Strong computer skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team;
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to manage relations with the private sector, producers and NGOs.
For more information, click here.